Director: Sara Ryan - AuD, CCC-A
Location: Kent-McCanner Building
Director: Jennifer Mertes - Aud, CCC-A
Location: Steiner Building
Family Education Audiologist: Michelle Levin Au.D., CCC-A
Location: Frederick and Columbia Campus
Speech & Hearing
- Comprehensive Diagnostic assessments: As required by IDEA 2004 or more frequent as reqeusted by parents. These assessments include measurement of auditory status, audiograms for admissions/transfer/exit, and to report and communicate findings with all IEP team members.
- Hearing Aid and Cochlear Implant Services: Recommend, program, fit/adjust, troubleshoot, secure repairs, verify performance, facilatiate communcation between MSD and outside Hearing & Speech services. Cochlear implant programming services, which include adjustments, troubleshooing, repair follow-up, verification of performance and facilatiton of communication between the student's implant hospital center and family. Programming services are not offered during the first year post implantation.
- Home visit: Family education and support as well as private pre-school in-service workshops for chidlren receiving support from our Family Education Program.
- Assistive Technology: Recommend, monitor, adjust and secure repairs for classroom listening enhancement systems and assist families in evaluating and selecting additional assistive technology for personal purchase
- In-service Training: To MSD staff and community members regarding audiology, hearing aids, cochlear implants and assistive technology.
Unique Networking Support
MSD staff has established ongoing networks with regional hospital implant centers, implant service providers and implant manufacturers. These networks facilitate service coordination, promote education and information exchange, ensure the monitoring of student’s implant and support both students and their families.For each student who has a cochlear implant, MSD encourages and supports communication between the hospital center, rehabilitation specialists, parents, and MSD staff. Specialized technology is available on both campuses to assist in meeting each child’s individual learning needs to ensure full access to the curriculum.