Waivers and Postponements of State Assessments
The COVID-19 pandemic has created many unique challenges for schools over this past year. As a result, the Maryland State Department of Education approved the following state assessment waivers and postponements:
Waivers for Graduating Seniors:
- Seniors currently enrolled in Algebra 1, English 10, and/or Biology are waived from having to take and pass the exams, but students must still pass the course.
- Seniors currently working on bridge projects for Algebra 1 and English 10 are waived from having to complete and pass the assessments.
- Seniors are waived from their SSL requirements if they have not yet met the 75-hour service-learning requirement.
- All high school students currently enrolled in Algebra 1, English 10, or Biology must take the exam this Fall 2021 but do not have to pass the assessment.
- All students currently enrolled in a Government course do not have to take or pass the assessment.
Waivers still in effect from the 2019-20 School Year:
- During the 2019-20 school year, assessments and bridge projects were not administered due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Maryland State Board of Education issued waivers for the Algebra 1, English 10, and Government assessments waiving them from graduation requirements. These waivers apply to students who took and passed the course during or prior to the 2019-20 academic year.
- The Maryland Integrated Science Assessment (MISA) was still in the development phase during the 2019-20 academic year. Therefore, the High School MISA waiver applies to students who took and passed the Biology course during the 2019-20 academic year.
Note: This statute does not waive the credit requirements for high school students. Any student that does not pass the course this academic year would have to retake the course, and these assessment waivers would not apply to retakes.
DYNAMIC ALTERNATE MAPS — ALTERNATE ASSESSMENTS
- The Alternate English Language Arts and Literacy, Alternate Mathematics, and Alternate Maryland Integrated Science Assessment (Alt-MISA) for grades 3-8 and grade 11 will not be administered in Spring 2021 and will be postponed until Fall 2021.
ELEMENTARY & MIDDLE SCHOOL
English Language Arts
- The English Language Arts and Literacy assessment for grades 3-8 will not be administered in Spring 2021 and will be postponed until Fall 2021.
- The Mathematics assessment for grades 3-8 will not be administered in Spring 2021 and will be postponed until Fall 2021.
- The Maryland Integrated Science Assessment (MISA) for grade 5 and grade 8 will not be administered in Spring 2021.
- The Kindergarten Readiness Assessment (KRA) will not be administered during the 2020-21 academic year.
Teachers continue to work instructing and assessing all students with the curriculum using the grade-level standards and expectations where students are placed. Assessment waivers do not compromise our expectations for academic rigor. The expectation is that students who receive a passing grade will do so based on grade-level expectations of content knowledge, standards, and critical thinking skills expected for the course of enrollment.
For questions or additional information regarding state assessment waivers or postponements, please contact:
Chet Virnig | Director of Academic Affairs
Revised March 26, 2021
Director of Academic Affairs